The FDA issued an advisory alert for some Texas-made Blue Bell ice cream products last week, after three consumers who had eaten the ice cream died in a Kansas hospital of foodborne illness.
For the first time in 108 years, Brenham, the Texas-based creamery issued a recall and stopped production and distribution of their ice cream products thought to be contaminated. The contaminated products were traced to one machine, which has been shut down.
Recent laboratory tests of three ice cream products from the Brenham production line — Country Cookie, Great Divide and Scoops — indicated the presence of Listeria monocytogenes, a bacterium that can cause severe illness.
The affected products include the following items made on the line:
- Chocolate Chip Country Cookie
- Great Divide Bar
- Sour Pop Green Apple Bar
- Cotton Candy Bar
- Vanilla Stick Slices
- Almond Bar
- No Sugar Added Mooo Bar (regular Mooo Bars are not included)
Consumers are being advised they should not eat these items and should discard any of these products they may have in their freezers.
The advisory does not include Blue Bell cups, pints or half gallons.