Trimming the tree can be a fun gathering and a tradition in your home, but are you doing it safely? Here are some simple tips you and your family and friends can follow to ensure a safe and merry Christmas season!:
Tips for Lighting the Tree
• Indoors or outdoors, use only lights that have been tested for safety. There are labels from independent testing labs on the lights’ box.
• Never use a string of lights with a broken bulb, cracked socket, or frayed wire. Discard them right away if they have any of these, new or old.
• Use no more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord.
• Use only one extension cord per outlet.
• Be careful where you place electric cords. Tape them down to the floor or to the walls to make sure no one in your home trips over them.
• Keep cords away from the tree’s water supply.
• Turn off all lights at night or when you are not home.
• Never use electric lights on metallic trees.
• Position bulbs away from needles and ornaments – they can get fairly hot!
Tips for Trimming the Tree
• Use only non-combustible or flame-resistant materials.
• Choose tinsel or artificial icicles of plastic or nonleaded materials. Leaded materials are hazardours if ingested by children.
• Follow container directions carefully to avoid lung irritation while decorating with artificial snow sprays.
• Use a step stool or ladder when decorating higher parts of the tree.
• Never let children decorate the tree unattended – teach them never to climb on the tree or grab branches when decorating.
• Never ever use lighted candles on a tree, even on artificial trees.