Winter can bring extremely low and dangerous temperatures with added wind chills, so it’s important to take proper precautions to minimize your risk of danger presented by severe cold weather.
Before Extreme Cold Weather Hits
• Be aware of weather conditions ahead by staying updated with the media
• Prepare for the worst. Ensure you have sufficient heating fuel and an emergency kit for extreme conditions.
• Make sure your car is properly equipped with an emergency kit and the proper winter weather accessories such as snow tires or chains.
During Extreme Cold Weather
• Minimize outdoor activities. Please consider your pets and never leave them outside!
• Dress in several layers of loose-fitting clothing. If you are sweating, this can actually make you colder.
• If electricity is lost for an extended period of time, a snow bank in your yard can become a makeshift freezer for food.
• Excessive exposure can lead to frostbite so bundle up!
• Know how to recognize the symptoms of hypothermia and how to warm a loved one up without shocking their system.
• If you lose heat, seal off unused rooms by stuffing towels in the cracks under the doors.
• Keep pipes from freezing by wrapping them in insulation or layers of newspaper, covering the newspaper with plastic.
• If pipes do freeze, remove the insulation, completely open all faucets and pour hot water all over the pipes or wrap them with towels soaked in hot water.
• Check on neighbors!
Stay warm and safe this winter!