Winter is right around the corner and it’s time to start weatherproofing your home!
Here are some simple safety tips and tips from the CDC:
- • Install smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in your home. – Make sure the batteries are working!
- • Have your chimney cleaned annually.
- • Insulate walls and the attic.
- • Caulk and weather-strip doors and windows.
- • Never leave lit candles or other flames unattended.
- • Bring your pets indoors please!
- • Dress warmly and limit exposure to cold to prevent frostbite.
- • Avoid getting wet to avoid hypothermia.
- • Make a winter emergency kit to keep in your car and another one to keep in your house.
- • Check the antifreeze level in your car and have the radiator system serviced.
- • Replace worn tires with snow tires if you live in snowy areas.
- • Keep gas tanks full or don’t let it drop below ¼ tank to prevent ice and in tank and fuel lines.
- • If power lines fall on your car, warn people not to touch the car or power lines. – Call your local utility and emergency services.