Stay safe on winter roads this year! The CSEA has provided the following safety tips for winter travel:
Don’t Zone Out
Staying off the roads in a major snow event is usually best but, if you MUST be on the road, here are some tips for safe driving in the snow.
- Allow extra time for travel.
- Maintain safe distances between other vehicles.
- Don’t drive too fast.
- Remember that snow plows move slower.
- Never get too close or try to pass a plow.
- Be sure to have a cell phone.
- Don’t use cell while driving.
- Drive cautiously on bridges.
- (They freeze faster than roads and are often extra slippery.)
- Never leave your car if you get stuck or become snowbound.
- Stock your car with emergency supplies – What do you put in your car emergency kit?
- (for example: sand, shovel, flares, booster cables, rope, ice scraper, portable radio, flashlight, blankets and extra warm clothes.)
- Always tell someone where you are going, how you will get there and give an estimate on how long it will take you.